Professor Baik is a researcher and teacher in strategic management. He received his Ph.D. degree in management from Purdue University. His research is on the relationship between modern corporations and the society from the strategic-management perspective. Research topics cover both market strategies as an economic mechanism to create values and non-market strategies as a socio-economic and political mechanism to interact with corporate stakeholders in the society. As a teacher, he teaches strategic management for MBA students and advanced topics in strategic management for Ph.D. students.
- ▶ Purdue University, Ph.D. in Strategic Management, 2004
▶ University of Pennsylvania, A.M. in Public Policy & Management, 1998
▶ Drexel University, M.B.A. 1994
▶ Seoul National University, B.B.A. 1992
- ▶ Assistant Professor of Strategic Management
▶ Long Island University, NY, 2003-2005
Industry Advisory Activities
- Texas Instrument & Broadcom 2007- 2009
Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service 2007-2008
Social Venture Competition in Korea 2007- present
Publications & Research
Publications (patents, etc.)
- I. Market Strategies (Firm Theory, Technology & Strategy)
- The impact of new IPOs on the value of incumbent firms (with S. Bach and S.H. Lee), 2011, Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 5(2): 158-177.
- A hidden cost of strategic alliance under Schumpeterian dynamics (with J. Lee, S. Park, & Y. Ryu), 2010, Research Policy, 39 (2): 229-238.
- Geographic cluster size and firm performance (with T.B. Folta & A.C. Cooper). 2006. Journal of Business Venturing, 21(2): 217-242.
II. Non-market Strategies (Law, Politics, Society & Strategy)
- Deregulation and earnings management dynamics: The case of the airline industry (with B.J. Kwak & J. Lee), 2011, Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, 30(6):589-606.
- Inefficient investment, information asymmetry, and competition for managers (with S. Seog), 2012, Journal of Political Economic Theory, 14(6): 971-995.
- Corporate lobbying in antidumping cases: Looking into the Continued Dumping and Subsidy Offset Act (with S.H. Lee), 2010, Journal of Business Ethics, 96 (3): 467-478.
- Analysis of Public Investment Decision-Making under Information Asymmetry (with S. Seog). 1998. International Journal of Urban Sciences 2 (2): 150-159.
III. Working Papers
- The effect of retaining former CEOs as board chairman on operating performance (with B.J. Kwak & I.H. Suk)
- The liability of foreignness in international patenting (with J. Song)
- Real options investments in political capital and government bailout (with S. Lee & M. Ozer)
- An empirical analysis of patent disclosure
- Responsible corporate activities and accounting quality (with B.J. Kwak & J. Lee)
- Contemporary corporations as a platform
- Career concern, industry competition and investment decisions (with S.H. Seog)
- Patent scope as a signal: An empirical analysis
- Ethics follows structure: An ethical aspect of organizational structure in emerging economies (with S.H. Lee and C. Lee)
- ▶ Firm Theory & Strategy
▶ Technology, Intellectual Property & Strategy
▶ Law, Politics, Society & Strategy
▶ Responsible Corporate Capitalism
- This course covers the principles and applications of strategic management for MBA students.
Advanced Topics of Strategic Management(BA743)
- This course covers the advanced research topics of strategic management for Ph.D. students. Strategic management (BA543) for Ph.D. students is a prerequisite.