Faculty DirectoryYOO, CHOONG-YUEL Associate Professor
- Contact Information Office.Supex 432 Tel.82-2-958-3326 Efirstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com Lab. Supex 491 (T: 958-3466)
- Academic GroupsAccounting
- MajorFinancial Accounting
Choong-Yuel Yoo joined KAIST College of Business in 2009, right after completing his PhD at Queen’s University, Canada. His research interest includes traditional accounting topics and those in the boundaries of accounting and finance. In particular, he empirically examines the judgement and decision making of accounting information providers (e.g., CEOs and directors) as well as accounting information users (e.g., equity analysts and investors).
- Queen’s University at Kingston (Canada), Ph.D.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, MAS
Seoul National University, MBA
Kyungwon University, BBA
- D.I. McLeod Fellowship (Queen’s) 2003-2007
- Knowledge Management Research Support, the Monieson Centre (Queen’s) 2007
- International Accounting Research Consortium Fellowship 2002
- Lillian & Morrie Moss Fellowship (Illinois) 2001-2002
- UIUC Pre-doc fellowship 2001-2002
- ILJU Academic Foundation Study Abroad Fellowship (USD 100,000), 2000
- Hyundai Securities Ltd. Fellowship 1998
- Clarion Capital Asia Ltd.
United Nations Headquarter, Management Policy Office
S.N.U., Advanced Banking Program (ABP)
Hyundai Electronics (hynix) Co., Corporate Planning Office
Industry Advisory Activities
- Korea Accounting Standards Board (KASB) Advisory Council, Member.
KASB Special Committee on Financial Disclosure Initiative, Chairperson.
FSS-KASB Joint Committee for K-IFRS Interpretation, Member.
HDC Asset Management Co. Ltd., Outside Director.
Daehan Synthetic Fiber Co., Ltd., Outside Director.
Publications (patents, etc.)
- Demand for Fair Value Accounting: The Case of the Asset Revaluation Boom in Korea during the Global Financial Crisis. Journal of Business Finance & Accounting (JBFA) 2017
Business Groups and Tunneling: Evidence from Corporate Charitable Contributions by Korean Companies. Journal of Business Ethics (JBE) 2017
Do Analysts Who Understand Accounting Conservatism Exhibit Better Forecasting Performance? Journal of Business Finance & Accounting (JBFA) 2017
Do Analysts Strategically Employ Cash Flow Forecast Revisions to Offset Negative Earnings Forecast Revisions? European Accounting Review (EAR) 2016
Professors on the Board: Do They Contribute to Society Outside the Classroom? Journal of Business Ethics (JBE) 2015
Corporate Charitable Contributions: Business Award Winners’ Giving Behaviors. Business Ethics: A European Review (BEER) 2015
Impact of Measuring Operational-Level Planning Reliability on Management-Level Project Performance. Journal of Management in Engineering (JME) 2014.
Do Analysts Treat Winners and Losers Differently When Forecasting Earnings? International Journal of Forecasting (IJF) Special Issue on "International Financial Forecasting: Global Economic Linkages and Corporate Earnings" 2014
Estimation and Prediction Tests of Cash Flow Forecast Accuracy. Journal of Forecasting (JF) 2013.
(view my research on SSRN Author page)
(view my research portfolio at google scholar)
- Analysts' forecasts;
corporate social responsibilities;
IFRS and financial accounting issues in capital market.