Chang-Yang Lee is Professor of Economics and Public Policy, whose main research interest broadly covers economics of innovation and industrial and innovation policy. He earned his master's and doctoral degrees from Harvard University and has an extensive experience in policy making at the Ministry of Trade and Industry of Korea for almost 15 years. He has been advising several government agencies and private companies. He currently serves as a member of the board of directors of SK Hynix.
- ▶ Ph.D. in Public Policy (Economics of Innovation), Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Harvard University (1999)
▶ MPA, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University (1995)
▶ MPA, Seoul National University (1987)
▶ BS (Political Science & Economics), Seoul National University (1985)
- ▶ Director, Industrial Policy Division, Ministry of Commerce, Industry & Energy (1999)
▶ Senior Staff, Joint Presidential Committee on Economic Policies (1997-1998)
▶ Director, Trade Policy Division, Ministry of Trade, Industry & Energy (1996-1997)
▶ Secretary to the Minister, Ministry of Trade & Industry (1991-1993)
Industry Advisory Activities
- Outside board member of LG Display, SK hynix, and TCK.
Publications & Research
Publications (patents, etc.)
- * C. Y. Lee, 2018, "Geographical Clustering and Firm Growth: Differential Growth Performance among Clustered Firms," Research Policy (forthcoming).
* C. Y. Lee, 2017, "What Determines Firms' R&D Intensity in Business Groups with Cross-ownership Structures?", Industry and Innovation, 24 (6), pp. 633-658 (with T. Sung and H. Ahn).
* C. Y. Lee, 2016, "Are Large Business Groups Conducive to Industry Innovation? The Moderating Role of Technological Appropriability," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, forthcoming, (with Ji-Hwan Lee and Ajai Gaur).
* C. Y. Lee, 2016, "Technological Regimes and Firm Survival," Research Policy, 45 (1), pp. 113-124 (with Jungho Kim).
* C. Y. Lee, 2016, "Technological Diversification, Core-technology Competence, and Firm Growth," Research Policy, 45 (1), pp. 232-243 (with Jungho Kim).
* C. Y. Lee, 2014, "Technological Capability, Agglomeration Economies, and Firm Location Choice," Regional Studies, 48 (8), pp. 1337-1352 (with Yuri Jo).
* C. Y. Lee, 2012, "Learning-by-doing in R&D, Knowledge Threshold, and Technological Divide," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, 22 (1), pp. 109-132.
* C. Y. Lee, 2011, "Technological Regimes and the Persistence of First-mover Advantages," Industrial and Corporate Change, 20 (5), pp. 1464-3650 (with Jungho Kim).
* C. Y. Lee, 2011, "The Differential Effects of Public R&D Support on Firm R&D: Theory and Evidence from Multi-country Data," Technovation, 31 (5~6), pp. 256-269.
* C. Y. Lee, 2010, "A Theory of Firm Growth: Learning Capability, Knowledge Threshold, and Patterns of Growth," Research Policy, 39 (2), pp. 278-298.
* C. Y. Lee, 2009, "Do Firms in Clusters Invest in R&D More Intensively? Theory and Evidence from Multi-country Data," Research Policy, 38 (7), pp. 1159-1171.
* C. Y. Lee, 2009, "Competition Favors the Prepared Firm: Firms' R&D Responses to Competitive Market Pressure," Research Policy, 38(5), pp. 861-870.
* C. Y. Lee, 2009, "The Relationship between R&D Concentration and Industry R&D Intensity: A Simple Model and Some Evidence," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, 18, pp. 353-368 (with J. Noh)
* C. Y. Lee, 2009, "Inter-industry Differences in Profitability: The Legacy of the Structure-Efficiency Debate Revisited," Industrial and Corporate Change, 18 (3), pp. 351-380. (with Ishitiaq P. Mahmood)
* C. Y. Lee, 2005, "Schumpeter's Legacy: A New Perspective on the Relationship between Firm Size and R&D," Research Policy, 34 (6), pp. 914-931. (with T. Sung)
* C. Y. Lee, 2005, "A New Perspective on Industry R&D and Market Structure," Journal of Industrial Economics, 53 (1), pp. 101-121.
* C. Y. Lee, 2004, "Business Groups: Entry Barrier-Innovation Debate Revisited," Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 54, pp. 513-531. (with Ishtiaq P. Mahmood)
* C. Y. Lee, 2003, "A Simple Theory and Evidence on the Determinants of Firm R&D," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, 12, pp. 385-395.
* C. Y. Lee, 2003, "Firm Density and Industry R&D Intensity: Theory and Evidence," Review of Industrial Organization, 22, pp. 139-158.
* C. Y. Lee, 2002, "Advertising, Its Determinants, and Market Structure," Review of Industrial Organization, 21, pp. 89-101.
* C. Y. Lee, 2002, "A Simple Model of R&D: An Extension of the Dorfman-Steiner Theorem," Applied Economics Letters, 9 (7), pp. 449-452.
* C. Y. Lee, 2002, "Industry R&D Intensity Distributions: Regularities and Underlying Determinants," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, 12, pp. 307-342.
- ▶ Economics of R&D
▶ Innovation Strategy
▶ Industrial and Technology Policy
▶ Economic Growth